To our valued Guests,
Thank you for your continued support.
On March 16, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued an executive order to temporarily close dine-in services at all bars and restaurants in response to the COVID19 public health crisis in our area. At that time, we chose to close temporarily for the safety of our staff and guests. Knowing that our staff could apply for expanded unemployment benefits helped with our decision.
On April 20, we began to offer a weekly cold prix-fixe option with no-contact pick-up from our patio. Thank you so much to those of you who supported us with your orders during this time.
On July 1, we began to offer traditional carry-out with online ordering and no-contact pick-up from our patio.
Food safety has always been a priority for the restaurant industry. Standard Food Code requirements related to sanitation and personal hygiene in particular are reliable protocols to combat risks related to the spread of COVID-19. Nevertheless, during this time, there are additional safety measures that must be put in place which go above and beyond the Food Code.
Our priority remains protecting public health and employee health; and complying with local, state and federal regulations. We are carefully following the continuously updated guidelines and directives from the CDC, OSHA, State of Michigan and the Washtenaw County Health Department. We are regularly referencing updated industry guidance from the National Restaurant Association and ServSafe.
Some of the additional operational procedures now in place are:
• All staff are required to complete a COVID19 screening questionnaire upon arrival at work. This includes a temperature check.
• No one is permitted to work if they are experiencing any symptoms as outlined by Washtenaw County Public Health. Anyone who reports these symptoms must self-quarantine.
• All staff are required to wear masks while working.
• Vendors and tradespeople that come on-site are required to wear masks.
• We are washing our hands more frequently than ever.
• There are many well-stocked hand washing stations and hand sanitizer throughout our facility.
• We sanitize equipment, surfaces, and commonly touched items frequently throughout the day.
• We are maintaining social distancing standards from customers during the pickup process.
• We have spread work stations to the greatest extent possible, to allow more distance between staff as they work.
• We are restricting the number of workers present on-site to no more than necessary.
We will continue to work diligently toward a day that Cardamom will once again be a busy, bustling, exciting restaurant in the post-pandemic landscape, where folks gather together for a great meal and are served by an amazing team of people. As yet, we do not know what all the steps on that path will be, nor do we know how many months or years until that time. In the interim, we will be taking a multitude of smaller steps as needed to comply with federal, state and local regulations and to remain a viable and vibrant business. We recognize that the Governor’s Michigan Safe Start Plan represents a “dial”, not an “on/off” switch, and that the situation will remain fluid for some time to come.
We urge you to stay informed by relying on trusted local sources for information. Washtenaw County Health Department’s website is updated regularly and has many links to additional resources. https://www.washtenaw.org/3095/COVID-19
Many of you have reached out to show your support and we thank you. You may certainly purchase gift cards here any time, and we will snail mail them to you. We would prefer, however, that you help those in our community facing food insecurity by supporting Food Gatherers, Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels and Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels.
We thank you, now more than ever, for supporting your local, independent businesses. Please consider patronizing our neighbors in The Courtyard Shops at this time so that our mall remains vibrant.
With deep gratitude,
Binod Dhakal & Becky Winkler-Dhakal
Owners, Cardamom Restaurant
Copyright 2020. Cardamom Restaurant. All Rights Reserved. Last updated 07/01/20.
Disclaimer: Prices and availability subject to change without notice. Although we try to assure accuracy, Cardamom cannot be responsible for typographical errors.